Autodesk's work on our data exchange protocols underscores our ongoing commitment to support industry Building Information Modeling (BIM) interoperability standards and open source data exchange methodologies.
- Autodesk created IFC Open Source export for Revit in 2011, which has been downloaded more than 70,000 times by users from more than 100 countries.
- We have provided continuous updates to the IFC open source independent of the standard Revit release cycle.
- The IFC format is used in several Autodesk products – including Revit software products, InfraWorks, Navisworks and BIM 360 Glue.
- The Green Building XML (gbXML) schema used in several Autodesk products—including Revit software products, AutoCAD verticals, Green Building Studio® web-based energy analysis service was developed in 1999 to facilitate the interoperability between information stored in BIM models and a wide variety of engineering analysis tools to support green building design, analysis, and operating workflows. Find a supporting gbXML.
Revit software products were among the first on the market to receive the buildingSMART IFC Coordination View 2.0 export certification. They were also among the first to create IFC files in the latest IFC4 standard.
- Since 2005, Revit products have offered IFC file export and import, which makes it possible to export replicas of project models into the standard IFC file format. Users can then import IFC files into any design program that complies with the standard, supporting greater interoperability throughout the architecture, engineering, and construction (AEC) industry.
- Autodesk has supported the buildingSMART initiative on COBie (Construction Operations Building Information Exchange) BIM data standard.
- Revit 2015 software products feature improved IFC link support with a new Link IFC tool on the Insert tab. Enhancements to improve the quality of linked IFC data result in increased visual fidelity and improved performance during the import process.
- In January 2013, we completed the independently audited buildingSMART Alliance COBie Design Challenge for Architectural Design and Coordinated Design, achieving 100% positive marks with a complete COBie deliverable that required no additional processing or edits.
- Autodesk has worked with organizations worldwide to promote open standards, including:
- U.S. National BIM Standard (NBIMS) and related efforts of COBie and National CAD Standard (NCS)
- U.K. government BIM initiative
- The Bavarian Government FM Handover IFC Model View Definition
- BuildingSmart Korea (BSK) in the design and development of a national BIM standard
IFC interoperability white paper
COBie simplifies the work required to capture and record project handover data by compiling data during all phases of a project rather than waiting until the end of the project. The Autodesk COBie Extension simplifies this process further by allowing you to pull a COBie-compliant spreadsheet directly from your Revit Model.
2016, 2015, 2014
The Revit Model Checker is an add-in that automatically checks Revit models and helps with verifying compliance to BIM Requirements. With hundreds of different checks and the ability to batch check against multiple models and their corresponding links, the Autodesk Revit Model Checker assists owners and design consultants in providing high quality Revit models for all of its BIM projects.
2016, 2015, 2014,
Getting Started Guide
For support please email us at: