Who attends the AU Las Vegas conference?
Autodesk University attracts about 10,000 attendees each year from a wide range of professions and industries, including design, engineering, construction, manufacturing, and digital arts.
What kind of sessions can I expect?
We offer a variety of session types, including:
- Hands-on labs for practical product training
- Industry talks featuring case studies, insights, and thought leadership
- Instructional demos for more in-product learning
- Panels and roundtables for peer-to-peer learning
- Product briefings for new Autodesk technology
- Keynotes that explore the future of design and engineering
We suggest that you attend a variety of sessions to round out your AU learning experience.
How many sessions are offered at AU Las Vegas?
In recent years, we've offered nearly 700 sessions to choose from.
When does the conference take place and for how long?
The 2018 conference begins Tuesday, November 13, and ends Thursday, November 15. It’s a 3-day event, with additional preconference events on Monday, November 12.
What events take place on Monday?
We hold several special programs and preconference events on Monday, including:
- Forge DevCon–Join more than a thousand design and engineering software developers for a special day of sessions and labs focused on the Forge platform.
- Connect & Construct Summit–Join other construction professionals for a special day of sessions for the building and construction industry.
- Computational BIM Workshop - Beginner–Start building your BIM skills on Monday, before AU begins. Learn to combine Building Information Modeling with Dynamo, Revit, and other applications, data sources, and geometry tools. Basic understanding of programming and scripting recommended.
- Computational BIM Workshop - Developer–Join us on Monday for the Dynamo Developer Workshop focused on extensions, a tool that allows Dynamo developers to create custom functionality based on Dynamo interactions and logic. You’ll learn extension basics during the first part of the workshop. The second part features a focused extension topic for learning, collaboration and exchanging ideas with other Dynamo community members.
How many years has the conference taken place?
2018 will be the 26th year of AU.
Who will speak at the keynotes?
We’ll make an announcement on our blog and via email when we've lined up the AU 2018 keynote speakers. In recent years, we've heard from Autodesk executives and special guests.
Is there a theme for the AU conference this year?
Yes. This year’s theme is The Future of Making Things. We’ll explore the evolution of design and engineering technology, and how day-to-day innovations and efficiencies are our bridge to the future. The future is exciting, and it’s close.
When and where will the party be held?
The party will be on Wednesday evening at the LINQ Promenade, just a short walk from The Venetian and The Palazzo. Celebrate your position at the forefront of your industry as you enjoy a futuristic playground for designers, makers, and builders.
Can I bring my significant other?
Guest Passes are available for purchase if you're registered for AU, so you can bring your guest to the AU party and evening events in the Expo. You can also buy a Party Only Guest Pass at the Customer Service desk, which allows your guest to attend the party. Guest Passes and Party Only Passes should only be purchased if you want to bring someone with you. All AU 3-day conference passes include evening events and the party.
Is AU a sustainable event?
Yes. Here are some of the ways we make AU as sustainable as possible:
- We’ve replaced paper conference guides with a mobile app guide.
- We hold the conference in a single venue, and partner with sites that already have sustainability programs in place.
- We provide exhibitors with guidelines on how to make their booth green, and encourage them to reduce or replace paper handouts.
- To learn more, watch this video on The Greening of Autodesk University.
How can I contribute to sustainability at AU?
Share a taxi from the airport with another AU attendee. AU taxi ambassadors will be waiting to help attendees connect starting Monday. You’ll save on taxi fare, plus start networking as soon as you arrive, so it’s an all-around win.
Where can I see an overview of what is offered?
Can I view the AU course offerings before I register?
Yes. You can browse the course offerings in the AU class catalog before you register.
How do I get on the waitlist for a full class?
This year we’ve added waitlists for Instructional Demos, Industry Talks, and Hands-on Labs. When you try to add a full class to your schedule and the class has a waitlist, the system will ask if you'd like to add your name to the waitlist. If you select yes, you'll be placed on the waitlist and the class will appear on your schedule as a waitlisted class. If you select no, then that time on your schedule will remain open. Keep in mind, when you’re waitlisted for a class you won’t be able to enroll in conflicting classes. We’ll do our best to enroll waitlisted attendees into the respective classes before November 1, at which point all waitlists will be cleared.
For AU classes that don't have waitlists, you can use the mobile app to switch classes at the event. Class changes happen right up to and during AU. Add the sessions you want to monitor to your favorites and keep checking back for openings. You can also email the AU Registration Team to ask if a class will be repeated at a different time. REPEAT will appear at the end of the title for classes that are offered again due to popularity.
When will class handouts be available?
Handouts will be posted in the class catalog and mobile app approximately 2 weeks before the event, but speakers can update their files until AU begins. Other class materials will be available through AU online 2 weeks after the conference.
Are all of the AU conference classes recorded?
We record about 500 classes at AU each year. We increase this number every year, and we’re working toward recording every class. Room size impacts which classes are recorded. Since session locations can change up to the event, you can’t request that we record your class. We also can’t post a list of which classes will be recorded.
Where can I find the recorded sessions?
AU learning doesn't end when you leave Las Vegas. You can watch recorded sessions and keep learning all year long at AU online
. Even if a class wasn’t recorded, many of our AU experts prepare detailed handouts, sample data sets, and other learning materials. These materials are available online year-round. At AU online, class is always in session, and always free.
Do I need a U.S. entry visa to attend AU?
All attendees and their guests from outside of the United States must have a valid passport to travel. Visitors from some countries also need an entry visa.
How do I obtain an entry visa for AU?
Contact your local U.S. embassy or consulate to check current visa requirements and find out how to obtain an entry visa. You may be able to fill out an electronic application form online.
What do I do if my embassy/consulate requires me to submit an invitation letter?
Don’t worry—AU can provide you with an invitation letter if you're attending the 3-day conference. After you register for AU and have paid for your 3-day pass, email the following information to email@example.com:
- First and last name as it appears on your passport
- Date of birth (mm/dd/yyyy)
- Passport number and expiration date (mm/dd/yyyy)
- Issuing country and country of residence
Note that we can only provide invitation letters for registered AU attendees.
What if I'm from a country that participates in the Visa Waiver Program?
If your country participates in the Visa Waiver Program and you have a machine-readable passport, you may be able to travel without a visa. For more information, please refer to the U.S. State Department website.